Thursday, June 26, 2008

They Keep Calling Me


I was finally able to watch the Joy Division film by Grant Gee. I had a viewing party this evening at my place. What started out as a 3 person event turned into a 9 person event. I loved the fact that there are that many people to show up at my place at the last minute to watch a Joy Division documentary, but I didn't really know 1/3 of the people and this was a personal film for me.

The first part of the movie had me enraptured. I felt as if I was strapped in a speeding car drenched in sodium lights careening wildly over an empty freeway at night. Their music is timeless and brilliant, of course. I have listened to everyone of their songs over 50 times each and NEVER tire of them.

The last part of the film dealt with the end of the band and had quite a dour tone. What was most revealing to me was the fact that the band members, friends and producers of Joy Division admitted in the film that Ian Curtis' lyrics should have been paid more attention to as they certainly forecast his demise.

I know that in the 80's when such a statement was made, the people who purported to be in the know dismissed that argument as rubbish and maintained his lyrics were artistic hyperbole.

Well, we all know better.

To the centre of the city where all roads meet waiting for you
To the depths of the ocean where all hopes sank searching for you
I was moving through the silence without motion waiting for you
In a room with no window in the corner,
I found truth