Friday, June 13, 2008

Quiz #2

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of emails I received guessing the celebrity who fit the profile. Of all the emails, however, only 4 answered correctly. The celebrity who fits this profile:

* Former father-in-law of George Clooney.
* Ex-uncle of Vincent Van Patten (World Poker Tour and Apple's Way fame as well as author of "The Picasso Flop", a poker murder mystery..)
* Studied Monkey Kung Fu as a hobby.

is Martin Balsam.

I want to conduct another quiz and I am fairly sure that based on the demographic of readers to this blog, the number of responses will be significantly less than quiz #1. I am also not going to offer a cash reward.

And this quiz won't be on pop culture.

The topic of this quiz is Math and the questions are basically number theory questions. Number theory is my favorite math discipline, with probability being second favorite.

This is a two parter and the winner(s) are the first two who can answer each question. I changed my mind, if you can answer both questions correctly, I will give you $25 US and list your name here.

  1. What is the smallest number divisible by 1 through 6?
  2. What is the smallest number that can be written as the sum of of 3 distinct squares in 2 ways? (A square number is a figurate number of the form Sn=n^2, where n is an integer. )

Contest ends Wednesday, June 18th.