Friday, October 17, 2008

Two Scrimps

I was involved in a minor car accident 2 weeks ago. After some wrangling and paper shuffling, I finally took my car in to the body shop this past Monday for the repairs. The insurance company provided for a rental while my car was being worked on.

I received a phone call just after lunch yesterday informing me my car was ready to be picked up. But first, I had to take the rental back to the rental agency. The woman who checked me in at the rental agency was the same one who picked me up on Monday, so we had a history. It was a good history actually. She was very friendly and accommodating. She was professional too.

So, I signed all the papers and paid for the gas and taxes (my insurance company did not pay for that.) While we were in the office, she was very professional and engaging at the same time. When we got in the car to take me back to the body shop, she started hitting on me.

There is no question that was what she was doing. She immediately asked if I was married. Then she asked if I dated outside my race. (She is a fine black woman.) I had to inform her I don't even date within my race. We laughed and laughed. She told me about her being jilted at the alter. She got me to tell her about a rather regretful relationship in my past, as well. We bonded quite a bit. (She immediately pegged me as a non-commital type and told me that Oprah dedicated an entire show to people like me-never married males.)

We were in the car for less than six minutes and I learned a very personal saga from her life, she from mine and she practically asked me out.

All good things have to come to an end, and she let me out of the car at the body shop and we traded our plaintive goodbyes.

That was the highlight of my day (in addition to the arrival of the new sparkling blue recycle carts from the city.)

Today's found photo seems like it is from a NAMBLA brochure.