Monday, October 6, 2008

He's Got the Moves

In my last entry, I mentioned that I was about to watch The Visitor and indeed, I did. I also mentioned I was going to have a glass of red wine while watching. Well our protagonist in the film could be seen in every other scene drinking red wine. I bonded immediately.

It was actually a very good movie. It was obvious that it was a "message" movie, intent on changing the way certain people felt (bigots) about CERTAIN other people (Muslims}, but that didn't bother me in the least because it was such a well made film, it didn't feel like the film makers were at the pulpit barking their message.

On the other hand, I started to watch Wall-E this evening (thank you torrent.) I found myself looking at the clock several times to see how long I had been watching. It was typical Disney: horrid. It had a lot of style, just no substance. I assure you the screen writer would have thought otherwise. [REDACTED]

So I turned that movie off half way through and turned my attention to some old Saturday Night Live shows I snagged from the torrent site(s). The shows I grabbed were all from the 70's. I had watched everyone of them when they first aired, but the comedy doesn't stand the test of time. Bill Murray, might be the exception there.

However, the musical guests they had on the shows do stand the test of time. I skimmed through three shows and caught Loudain Wainwright, ABBA, Talking Heads, Brick (from Atlanta-Dazz Dazz, Disco Jazz) and Tom Waits. That was just fantastic.

There were fewer commercials in the 70's than there are today on that show. What do I care?

Here's another pic I scanned from the box of photos and such from the estate sale. That could have been me back in the day as I loved the older ladies. (Click image to enlarge.)