Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Day That Was

Here's another found picture from the box I bought.  The back of the photo says "Kiper Room - Dallas Texas, March 5, 1968"  I googled "Kiper Room" and nothing came up.  I rather imagine if I had been born 40 years earlier, the Kiper Room would be a favorite haunt of mine.

Today, I had to go to the HEB in my neighborhood (the one at 2222 and Burnet Rd.)  Man, I hate going in there.  It's poorly managed (longer lines than elsewhere) and crowded most of the time.  I dropped in to pick up Luke's medicine, which is discounted from $95 to $5.  That discount is the only way to get me to go there anymore.  Otherwise, I shop at Randalls.

I arrived around 10:15 and the place was littered with elderly folks (mid 70's and above.)  They were either shopping or just hanging around.  Some were inside at tables by the deli.  Others lounged about outside on the wooden picnic tables.  They were in no hurry to go anyplace.  It reminded me of a high school cafeteria at lunch time (except for less hotties.)

Yet you go in there during the late afternoon or evening and it looks like a barrio.  The place completely reinvents itself.

Either way, I strive to avoid the place.