Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cloak and Dagger

I picked Uffe up at the Airport last night on his return from New York on a business trip. We decided prior to his arrival that we would go out for cocktails before I would deposit him at his front door.

I decided we would drink at The Cloak Room. (To learn more, click here and here.) Even though I have lived in Austin for over 27 years, I had only recently (2 years ago) been introduced to the place by Bill Curra.

His flight was early, but I was following the status on line and arrived in time (10:40 PM). I even had a tallboy waiting for him in the car. (Tallboy is a beer, by the way.)

The flight was pleasant enough, even though he sat next to an extremely obese (and cranky) 22 year old girl. I did not press for details.

The evening air was perfect so we travelled to The Cloak Room with the windows down. We found a parking spot right by the front door. The pungent aroma of the Laurel Oak trees that dot the Capitol grounds permeated the air. It was a fine night and we had some whiskey drinking to do.

The Cloak Room is a pretty small bar, but is is perfectly dark and you access it by descending an exterior flight of steps. It is dark, as I mentioned and I tripped on the step that leads into the establishment. I was hoping that would not cause me to be cut off before I had my first drink.

I have been lucky in that every time I have been to The Cloak Room, it has not been crowded. I have always been able to acquire a nice table and this time was no exception. Its funny, but I never think to go to this place unless I am bringing friends home from the airport or I am looking for a nice place to go after a hearty meal at Austin Land and Cattle. Those are the only occassions that bring me there.

I do believe that The Cloak Room is my favorite bar in the state of Texas.

Here's another scanned pic. All it says on the back is "Anderson High prom." No date is given. I wonder if kids today perform the broom limbo?