Sunday, July 20, 2008

Weekend Observations

These are very simple observations that I feel compelled to relate:

  • Herradura Reposado is DELICIOUS Tequila. Jose Cuervo Especial when tasted after drinking 6 shots of the aforementioned Herradura Reposado taste like, well, Mescal. AWFUL!!! You know those bed comforters you buy at Target in the big zipped up plastic bag? Well imagine that you take one of those bags, add gallons of water in a cauldron and melt the plastic and pour the reduction into a bottle. That is the end result of the Jose Cuervo tequila. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who squirted 3 year old toothpaste into a bottle of and rubbing alcohol just to get drunk last Labor Day and that was better than the Cuervo.
  • Louis Armstrong can't sing. Let me rephrase that. He can't sing very well (save your emails about John Prine and Tom Waits, I like both of them.) In fact his voice causes tremors in my nervous system. I have known that for 35 years, but this weekend I snapped. I enjoy listening to XM 73 (Sinatra station) on the weekends and they play big band as well as 40's crooner up through 60's hep cat swing music. I really like the music on that station except for Louis Armsrong and a couple of other artists that are played so infrequently I can't remember their names. Now, when he comes on the radio, I can't react fast enough to turn the station.
  • I may be over reaching here, but I just think Mad Men might be better that The Wire. Alert the Stuff White People Like crowd. I saw that series (Season 1) when it first rolled out a year ago and then they had a "marathon" viewing this weekend and I marvelled at how well those episodes held up to a 2nd viewing. Just outstanding! (Maybe I will be quoted next week from this blog on AMC channel.)