Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Volunteering

Several readers have asked me to add an RSS feed to my site, so I have obliged (see top link on left). You are welcome. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, go here.

Some of you recall from my very first blog (or diary) that I was a volunteer for Meals on Wheels for a few weeks back in 2001. Though that experience didn't "go well", I have not given up on volunteering.

A work sponsored effort has landed me as a "prospective" volunteer at the Midnight Wish Foundation. I had a brief orientation on Saturday and then went over to meet my adopted senior on Sunday. I totally forgot it was Mother's Day on Sunday and arrived to find Alma with her daughter and grandson.

They were pretty drunk when I arrived, having been drinking since church let out. I joined them for a couple of drinks, but was pretty creeped out by her grandson.

I contacted the agency yesterday to inquire about getting a new adoptee but they haven't returned my call.

More later, I'm sure...