Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Powdered Milk Salesman

I just returned from an interesting lunch. Our technology group has completed version 6.0 of our product and everyone is in celebratory mood. As such, some of us went to the newly opened M.T. Tettleman's restaurant in The Domain (north Austin.)

The restaurant was decent but the menu ran a little pricey and the concrete floors impeded the ambiance echoing the shouts and laughter of the patrons into a cacophony that was barely tolerable. My turkey club sandwich was delicious, but really not worth $15.

After lunch, Mike, Richard and I wandered over to the Mac store to see the latest and greatest gizmos and gewgaws. In front of the store, an old man had set up a hand cart and was in business to sell his wares. In this case, he was selling powdered milk and organic radishes.

He was trying to push free samples of the powdered milk to the shoppers as they walked by. None of us were willing to try the samples which he has scooped out of a homemade fettle dripping the mixture through a sluice that emptied all over the cement in front of the Mac store. He would then ladle the mixture into Styrofoam cups.

Finally some hipster doofus coming out of the mac store tried some and exclaimed to all within earshot is was DELICIOUS! Mike then wandered over and grabbed a cup but didn't drink any. He brought the cup over to Rick and me and I decided to try it.

It tasted like the tepid clown sauce that your mother would make for lunch (when you were a kid) while listening to Paul Harvey on the radio. I drank it but wished I hadn't as I have had to make 2 visits to the men's room already since returning to the office.

As we were leaving the Mac store, security was hustling him away. I really regret drinking that "milk".