Friday, April 16, 2010

My autograph

Most people know I am not a fan of celebrity. Consequently, I am not much of an autograph collector. However, I do have Kim Deal's autograph, which, I came across this morning in the midst of Spring cleaning. As you can see, the parchment has faded and I doubt I could get more than $60 for it on ebay or an auction.




I had Jim Backus' autograph when I was younger, but that is long gone (friend of my father's sat next to him on a flight).

The story behind the Kim Deal autograph is as follows:
I was drinking beer with an ex-girlfriend (she was an ex at the time and we were in our friends with benefits stagee) at the Gingerman during SxSW some years ago. The actual date was March 17th 1997 and Kim and the drummer from the Pixies were sitting next to us at the bar.

I pointed out to my ex that Kim was sitting right next to her. She didn't know who Kim was (number one reason we broke up) so she asks Kim and the drummer if they wanted to play pool. Yes they did (they had been playing before we got there, it turns out.)

So we play a couple of games before Kim and the drummer had to leave. As they were leaving my ex asked Kim if she would sign an autograph for me. The image you see here is the result of that request.

Pretty good story, huh?