Monday, September 22, 2008

Man of Leisure


Had a stellar weekend. I kicked it off Friday afternoon with some co-workers (and a couple of knucklehead friends) at The Flying Saucer. We hung out there for 6 hours and then some of us headed back to my house for pizza and wine. Somewhere around 3:00 AM, I remembered I had a board meeting in a few hours in Johnson City so I layed down on the couch. When I awoke, everyone was gone, but I made it to the meeting in time.

My friend Andy was hosting a cookout at his lakehouse, so I stopped by on my way home from the meeting. Andy has a beautiful home on the lake and he had tons of food and an open bar. He even hired a bartender to pour drinks.

He prepared the food himself. He served the standard cookout fare: burgers, hot dogs and barbecue. He also served up a rather weird offering: Lake Travis sushi. Andy's lake house is 5 minutes from Hudson on the Bend and he loves that place. Hudson's serves unorthodox food, like rattlesnake nachos. I am certain that is what inspired this unappealing choice. I had a burger instead.

I hit the Draught House Sunday afternoon with Buck and Loren. It was free beer Sunday (for me, anyway.) I actually only stayed for 2 hours as I had to head home to meet Uffe for a cookout and watch the mighty Dallas Cowboys play Green Bay. We had the best steaks that I have ever cooked and washed it down with several bottles of vino.

After the game, we wandered over to Lala's. Oops, they are closed on Sundays so we went to Blue Bar for several whiskey drinks. I love that place, especially after the sun goes down. All sorts of weirdos congregate there. They also have the best drink prices in North Austin.

We hung out there until Uffe's wife called and insisted that he come home (right in the middle of my Ms. Pacman game.) I now have the 3rd highest score on that machine.

So here I am at work, snapped back to reality. I do begin a vacation on Wednesday and will be staying in town, so if any of you daytime Austin barflies get bored, call me up.