Friday, December 14, 2007

Dating (round 3)

Long time readers will recall that my dating track record has been less than desirable over the past 18 months. October saw a date with a very attractive nurse go from great to horrible when a stomach virus emerged during dinner.

Fast forward to last night. A coworker set me up on a blind date with Tammy. I am not sure why she wanted to set me up. I never talk about my personal life outside of work with this particular coworker. She doesn't really know me. The only time she and I are out in public is when someone from the office has a going away lunch at a local restaurant.

Anyway, she thought it would be great if Tammy and I got to know each other. Gayle (the coworker) knows Tammy because they live in the same building in their condominium complex. I told Gayle I wasn't interested in the least in going out on a blind date and to find someone else. She was persistent (and annoying) and finally after much pleading, I acquiesced and agreed to meet Tammy for happy hour.

Z-Tejas was the agreed upon venue. I was in a good mood, actually when I showed up around 5:30. My work day was over and I had Friday and Monday off for vacation, so a 4 day weekend was ahead of me.

When I arrived, the parking lot was half full, so I easily found a space to park near the entrance and walked into the bar. I was early and wanted to get a drink or two under my belt. Now, the reason I don't like going out on blind dates is because I view them as wastes of time. I am attracted to very few women and the odds of being set up with an attractive woman are a long shot. None-the-less, I was nervous about impressing this date as I walked in and decided to remove the tension with a couple of drinks. As I waited for the bartender to mix my cocktail, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I wheeled around and was confronted by a woman who asked if I was Paul.

Why yes I am. "My name is Tammy and I am here for our date."

She slid into the barstool next to me and ordered a drink for herself. I have to say, I wasn't attracted to her in the least. After some initial small talk, she began to regale me about her life, not once stopping to ask anything about me. I didn't offer up anything about myself, either, because she was talking non stop. I did learn that she is still married, though her divorce to a prisoner in New Mexico is pending. She has 3 children, all under 10 years old. Thankfully, she didn't produce any photos of them.

She was quite the drinker, too. By 6:15, she had already drank three double vodka soda cocktails. She was also slurring and her voice began to rise in volume. I was getting embarrassed, and for those of you who know me, that takes a herculean effort.

We were supposed to have dinner, as well as drinks, but I didn't see that happening. She was wobbling on the bar stool. I started to excuse myself from the date and dinner when she started crying at the bar. I asked if she was OK and she continued to sob. I ordered the check, paid it and walked her out the door. I felt so bad for her, and then she started in on me, cursing me for who knows what.

At this point, we were out the front door and in the midst of diners waiting on a table. I ushered her away from the crowd as she bellowed insults at me. Why didn't I just leave her behind as soon as I left the restaurant, you ask? Because I wouldn't have been able to take this picture of her sitting on the bench as she waited for the valet.