Monday, February 16, 2009

Awkward

Over the past 12 months (since my disbarment from Houston's), I have spent a fair amount of time at Pluckers. These are two very different restaurants, but Plucker's is cheaper and the regulars are rowdier than me (or Loren), so I doubt I will ever get banned.

Shortly after Thanksgiving, a new day shift waitress was hired on and I just happened to notice her. I haven't spoken much about her to my friends who meet me at Pluckers as they would no doubt have an embarrassing or incriminating comment to pass along to her should they know I thought "highly" of her.

She has been friendly with me since she started working there, but I am having trouble distinguishing between her demeanor as friendly banter with a "regular" customer, or something else.

And no, I won't mention her name.

So today, Loren calls me up and talks me into meeting him there for a late lunch. This has become typical for us. It is now quite common for he and I to spend a 2 hour lunch watching soccer and drinking a beer or two long after the lunch crowd has dissipated.

I arrived early and noticed the aforementioned waitress. She had already finished with her shift when I arrived and was sitting at a table in the main dining room with co-workers.

She saw me and came into the bar area and asked if I would like to meet her sister. Sure! Why not?!?!

Her sister comes over to where I am sitting at the bar and I am introduced. The sister is much smaller than the waitress of note, but I could tell they were related. I shook hands with her sister and held onto her hand while telling her she had very tiny, delicate hands. When I let go to look at them, I discovered she only had two fingers.

Now, I was trying to be suave, even if I was on my first beer. It turns out that this was a birth defect and not due to an accident (I was told), but I can tell the waitress was not happy with me. My previous stock piling of charm and wit with her was now depleted, and I fear I am in arrears.

She can't ban me though.