Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Another Neighborly Encounter

I just returned from a mid day walk with Luke and Taz. The weather has cooled off substantially enough to afford such a mid day excursion.

I typically take my iPod with me and listen to podcasts as we walk. Colin Cowherd provides plenty of entertainment to parry any tedium I may otherwise endure while walking on routes I've trod down innumerable times.

Towards the end of today's walk, I noticed a woman walking down her driveway on the other side of the street trying to signal me and shouting to get my attention.

I have never seen this woman in the years I have walked the dogs by her house, but I know one thing about her, she has 7 cats and the area around her house smells like a litter box.

I removed my earplugs and asked her to repeat herself as I crossed the street to confront her. She said, "I just love your dogs, they are so beautiful!"

Her voice was a dead ringer for Carol Channings'. This woman was in her early 50's, I'd say, and had bright red/orange hair with red lipstick applied with a caulking gun.

She was wearing house shoes and a house coat that wasn't securely tied at the top.

She told me that though she had cats, it was dogs that she loved as she leaned over to pet Luke and Taz. Her loose fitting house coat sagged down revealing not only was she not wearing a bra, she wasn't wearing panties. I quickly averted my eyes and brought our conversation to a close telling her that over time, she could change the cat to dog ratio in her house, as I retreated down the street.

Thus was the beginning of squirrel season.